Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:47:51 -0500
I think all of you are missing a point.  No one "owns" the frequency,
regardless of how quick he or she responds.  The reality is, you possess a
frequency based on how you use it and how loud you are, and quite possibly
how many people are calling you.  If you ask QRL? And someone answers you
yes.but you don't hear them because they are not strong and there is a lot
of contest QRM, then he loses it.  However, even if you think you now have
it, and call CQ to no avail, but the weaker chap is getting calls, you end
of leaving and he stays.  This happens all the time in the Northeast when
the strong CQing station is barely readable but is actually a very strong
contest station about 200 miles away (on 10, 15, or 20M).

So I would argue that your ability to possess a frequency in a contest is
simply a function of your ability to defend it when challenged.  Even if you
had a little bit of a lag as you are chasing the second radio, and someone
fires up a CQ, if you come right back and CQ on top of them.and you are LOUD
or getting lots of calls, they are going to leave 99% of the time.

So is the BIG GUN hogging 2 frequencies, technically yes, especially if he
is alternating CQs.  But is it bad, not in my opinion.  If you are CQing
when he comes back, are loud, and getting calls, it is much more likely that
he will realized he messed up and just lost the frequency. If he comes back
an challenges the frequency back with CQs and starts getting calls, well,
that's the way the game is played.

I bet there is not one of us out there that has not left a frequency they
have possessed because it has gone down the tubes by a nearby loud station
that is killing the rate.  Regardless of what you thought you owned. He owns
it now.

It's a contest folks.if you don't like the results you are experiencing.get
loud and get in there.

73

Ed  N1UR