Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)

To: w0mu@w0mu.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)
From: k3mm@verizon.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:12:20 -0600 (CST)
Not necessarily correct. You are allowed to "interlace" QSO's, which is not
uncommon among the top operators.  I can be listening on one radio while
transmitting on the other.  I might be listening for an exchange or a CQ answer
on one radio while sending CQ or an exchange on the other.  Not that difficult
in NAQP where the exchanges are short and somewhat predictable.  You arent
allowed to TX on more than one frequency at a time.  No rule against making
more than one QSO at a time.

If you are trolling for a freq, you cant assume that you are going to hear
everyone on the frequency.  Most of the responses have it right.  I'll usually
listen for a few seconds and send either a ? or a very short CQ.  If no one
responds within about 5 -10 seconds, it's yours.  If someone comes on my freq
and I'm in mid QSO, I'll sometimes do a AS or R if I'm going to need a repeat
anyway.  Otherwise I might let it go until I'm done receiving, but that's
always a little risky, especially if they are very loud or acting aggressively.
 I'd never leave it be for more than about 5 seconds or you could spend a lot
more time trying to keep the frequency.

On the occasion where I'm working someone on my second radio and it drags out
or have to focus my RX audio on a weak one, if  I come back 15 seconds later
and someone has fired up on the frequency, I'll usually just go find another.

 Ty K3MM