Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

To: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:47:28 -0700
Comments inline.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 01/28/2013 05:52 PM, Martin , LU5DX wrote:
Sorry Steve.
Your arguments do either 1) defy logic or 2) are poor resoning for not
combining the categories. See my comments below.

"...Written from the viewpoint of someone who is always on the
receiving-end of 48 hour pileups. For the other 99% of us, combining the
two categories does not increase our operating pleasure, nor does it
lead to a feeling of satisfaction for a job well done when it is over.
It just means more frustration as we spend the weekend mouse-clicking
from one huge pileup to the next huge pileup...."

Nobody forces you to use packet assistance if categories are merged.
  You can continue to operate as you please. In fact, most juicy
multipliers are found by just tuning up and down the band and you
usually spend less time calling the DX than if you jump on a packet
generated pile up.

At least in the USA, if you want to win in the combined category, you will absolutely need to use packet assistance. And before you and others tell me that historically, the top unassisted scores have been higher than the assisted scores, let me make a comment that is certain to offend some readers. In the USA, almost without exception, the best operators, using the best equipped stations operate unassisted. That is the reason they have higher scores than the assisted stations. When a great operator, using a great station, operates in the assisted category, they always outscore the top unassisted station. Since you want data to back up my assertions, here it is:

CQWW CW 2012

USA SOAB HP
K3CR(LZ4AX)       4628   172   578    48 10,097,250 NCC
K0DQ(@WW1WW)      4637   166   581    45 10,008,306 PVRC

USA SOAB(A) HP
K5ZD              4659   167   631    42 10,745,868 YCCC

And Randy did this operating 42 hours, not 45 or 48 hours.

CQWW SSB 2011

USA SOAB HP
K1DG    SO HP ALL       9,459,060       4,699   166     558     41.3

USA SOAB(A) HP
NN3W    SA HP ALL       11,828,236      4,921   185     683     44.7    @N3HBX

222 more QSO's and a whopping 144 more multipliers !

"....Only because there is cheating by assisted operators who claim to
be unassisted. However, as you point out in your next assertion, they
are being caught..."

No. They are not being caught. And there is no way to determine if a
contester has used a DX cluster to take advantage of 1, 10 or 30 mults
over the  weekend. Pretending that is possible to a 100 % is not serious.

That is not what Tonno, ES5TV, a recent member of the CQWW Contest Committee says in his posting.