Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:44:38 -0600
Pete,

I did see what you posted.  That is not what I am talking about.  What you did
was click on spots and work them - with some filtering but nothing new.

I've never tried it, but what does Skimmer or some other code reader do if you
have it on your CQ frequency with a roaring pile-up (or not) and have it copy
call signs (not ones calling CQ but all call signs)?  Can it copy call signs or
not? (I don't know the answer).  If it can copy, can those call signs be bumped
against a master data base?  YES.  Can those call signs be filtered by the MDB
and stacked in a list to run through, one after the other YES.  Could they be
prioritized based on whether they were needed as multipliers YES.  Would this
be a step toward near total automation of a run station?  YES  If that can be
perfected and work as well or better than the best operators, does it change
the game? (Absolutely)  for the better?  Matter of opinion.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Although I fought tooth and nail against allowing
Skimmer, I've learned to love it. Still glad, for now, a single operator
category still exists where the operator has to actually tune a radio dial to
find the stations he works.  That was in question at one time.  I love the RBN,
too.  Great tool for comparing antennas and your signal versus someone else.

Just take me one little baby step at a time to avoid shock.  I'm sure I'll love
having an automated run station in a few years.  I will, however, draw the line
when we take radios and antennas out of the game and just make it a computer
game on the Internet.  EI5DI may need to be resuscitated.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad