Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: Björn SM0MDG <bjorn@sm0mdg.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:01:00 +0200
On 11 apr 2013, at 03:26, "Jim Jordan" <k4qpl@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I also operate remote with a TS480. However, I opted not to use Remoterig for
> concern about the very issues you are experiencing. I leave my entire radio
> at home and use what I consider (no I'm not paid!) to be the most bullet
> proof remote desktop, www.GoToMyPC.com  which I also use in my business for
> its reliability.

Not sure I would trade Remoterig for a PC screen sharing solution with its
screen lag...

I ended up using Remoterig after trying a lot of different solutions including
TRX Manager, HRD and other software solutions. With Remoterig I am getting rid
of any non necessary traffic and the delays introduced by using an extra
computer at the remote station site. I am using Remoterig's internal serial
servers to control the radio and to establish a connection between the logging
computer and the remote radio. I key Remoterig's straight key line using
Winkeyer from N1MM (or Win-Test) and it creates perfect CW. Don't ask me how it
works, but Remoterig does capture CW on the input and reproduces it perfectly
on the other side of the internet connection.

The above described setup has helped me to achieve a steady and responsive
remote connection suitable for contesting, both CW and SSB. With my current
setup I do not feel distant to the radio, and in my opinion a major benefit is
that I have the radio control panel in front of me.

There are a few posts on my blog describing my remote contesting experience;

http://se0x.info/?tag=remote

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
VP2MSW