Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: "Barry" <w2up@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: "Jim Jordan" <k4qpl@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:26:14 -0400
Hi Barry,

I also operate remote with a TS480. However, I opted not to use Remoterig for concern about the very issues you are experiencing. I leave my entire radio at home and use what I consider (no I'm not paid!) to be the most bullet proof remote desktop, www.GoToMyPC.com which I also use in my business for its reliability. Not free, but worth it IMHO. By using remote desktop I can control other things including N1MM Logger, HamSwitch (for antenna switching and other peripherals). I'm not using Winkey so I can't use a paddle right now and not even sure if I want it. I use keyboard sending with the free software CWType loaded on the shack computer or keyboard sending with N1MM. Not a big deal for most contests since I use N1MM on my shack computer which is doing 98% of the work and all keying is local. That eliminates almost any possibility of defective keying originating with the contest program as the only thing that is carried by the remote desktop program are your keystrokes including a specific "F" key or "Enter" if you use ESM. To carry the audio I use Skype with the microphone muted at the remote end and the Skype AGC turned off at both ends. That pretty much eliminates latency. Ocassionally there will be a bad Skype connection. Hang up and call again. I did the CQ 160 remote and also Sprint RTTY. Check into some cw nets and a few casual QSO's when I'm travelling.

There will always be a few occasions where you experience temporary drop out no matter what system you have but it shouldn't seriously affect your operations. That's the price of remote in a less than perfect cyberworld. I did upgrade my Time Warner connection to 10Mb/S. Checking it on Speedtest shows it delivers as promised. You can also reduce the risk by using a 100Mb CAT5 connection to your router if available instead of wireless from your laptop. Oh, yes, if your internet connection is less than perfect, be sure your XYL isn't streaming a movie from NetFlix!!

With this setup I need absolutely nothing on the road but my laptop and some cheap headphones to keep from bothering other people. I'm leaving on an overseas trip tomorrow, again taking nothing but my laptop, and I'll see what happens.

Good luck and 73,

Jim, K4QPL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry" <w2up@comcast.net>