Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:24:05 +0100
On 10/04/2013 00:42, Barry wrote:

I tried some remote operation in the 10m contest using a TS480 and
Remoterig.  The radio control worked fine, but we had lots of problems
with dropped dits, timing problems, etc. on CW, presumably due to
dropped packets and/or latency issues.

These problems are common to ISPs with insufficient
isolation from solar flares and other atmospheric
disturbances.  The trick is to choose ISPs that
offer underground services and cables, with no
reliance on microwave or satellite links.

The good thing is we will soon be heading to a
sunspot minimum and the problems will be reduced,
if not entirely eliminated.  Another effective
solution is to use amateur-band RF all the way.

It goes to show, though, that remote contest
operation really is more difficult, and deserves
extra points.

73,
Paul EI5DI