Re: [CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?

To: rick@nq4i.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 23:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
The WPX contest is an odd creature. It originally was indeed a DX contest,
in which prefixes gave an interesting twist by providing a couple dozen
multipliers from very active countries like the USA and Germany, somewhat
offsetting the importance (though not the thrill) of working a VQ9 or the
like.

For many years there were no QSO points for working the same country. That
certainly indicated that it was a DX contest. I did have fun  for several
years back then trying for the "biggest" zero point score.  But the scoring
system changed and now there is a very modest incentive to make  QSOs within
your country..

But when countries, including the USA, went to a callsign system with
hundreds of possible prefixes, and set very few impediments to an individual
acquiring or borrowing a nearly (or totally) unique prefix, the relation
between multipliers and DX countries largely disappeared. The extra points for
working DX remains as the sole indication of it still being a DX contest.

So the WPX is still a DX contest, though very watered down. Being open  to
everyone in the world, It does sound like a good candidate for CWAC, Contest
 Within A Contest, treatment. Perhaps the new administration can take a
look  at some additional, alternative algorithms for scoring, one of which
could be  what you propose.

73    -    Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 5/6/2013 11:02:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,