Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 10:04:21 -0400
Interesting - I "admitted" what? That there are a lot of Softrock-type receivers on the RBN, some of which have inadequate I/Q image reduction? Sure. That direct downconversion receivers like the QS1R occasionally throw what look like I/Q spots, even though there is no simple explanation. Sure. I saw mine throw one of those just yesterday. Wish I knew why.

The RBN teamis actively working on a promising technological solution to get rid of all of thisclass of busted spots.

Wrong-band spots are quite another creature. I'm still waiting for data on these, but think that either inadequate harmonic suppression and/or intermod will be shown to be the source. If that's the case, then the receiver used probably makes little difference.

Bret, before you attack SDR receiver performance indiscriminately, take a look at Rob Sherwood's review of the KX3.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.