Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots
From: Mark <n2qt@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:45:05 -0400
It is of course a lot more than just sdr architecture.  There is a real
challenge in
creating a multiband capable skimmer.  Many installations use active wide band
antennas or have other active components in the signal path.  With the signal
 levels being discussed it's easy to see the resulting harmonic and mixing
products
that result.

Also many installations are co-located with their owner's active ham station.
While it
is one thing to protect a receiver from physical damage it is much harder to
keep it
from generating spurs while in overload.  The ubiquitous diode limiters are
notorious
for this.

The guys who deploy these skimmers have made a large investment in time, effort
and money to deploy these systems.  It's just not easy.

I think everyone continues to work to improve their particular system, and
applauds the
efforts of the RBN team for their central role in this.

Mark. N2QT