Re: [CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors

To: dick@k7vc.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:55:23 -0500 (CDT)
One correction... I should have said "DVI" not "HDMI" when referring to the
video types.

Sorry, was trying to do three things at once!

73, RON W3WN

On 03/17/14, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

Good morning Dick,

Well, I'm far from ever being a Master at anything, but FWIW...

I run dual monitors at work, have for years. I've used both "square" and
"rectangular/landscape" ("long & skinny"); at the moment, I have a pair of 22"
diagonal monitors on my desk at work. (Part of my job in the IT department is
to evaluate new hardware, so we often get things to try out)

First and foremost... how much room do you have? You don't want to buy monitors
that simply won't fit.

Secondly, consider where you are sitting when you will be looking at them. You
don't want to be straining your neck, or constantly moving your head around, to
look at monitors. I've found that my best vantage point is to have them right
in front of my eyes, when I'm sitting straight in the chair. I've also found
that if I put the monitors in a corner, I can angle them slightly to both
conserve "real estate" and to maximize viewing area.

Also, while my shack computer at home is under the desk, my work machine, a
test Dell Ultra Small Form Factor, actually fits right under the monitors...
this may be of concern depending on what computer or computers you end up with,
and where you plan on putting them.
Although this may appear trivial, it?s not. If you don?t have the monitors in a
convenient place, and make it relatively easy to look at, they will give you
more aggravation than they are worth. And while ergonomics ARE important,
remember that what is comfortable for me is not necessarily comfortable for you.
Third, make sure the PC of choice supports dual monitors. If it does not, you
should invest in a good quality card (doesn?t have to be TOP quality, good by
today?s standards is still VERY good), which you ought to be able to get for
under $100, possibly under $50.
Fourth? a small point, but most monitors & graphics cards today are HDMI, not
VGA. Many monitors support both; most graphic cards (but not all) come with
appropriate cables or adapters. I?ve found that the HDMI outputs are easier on
my eyes, for a large variety of reasons.
Fifth: Before investing in any monitor, go to a local electronics retailer
(such as a Best Buy, HH Gregg, or similar retailer) and see what?s actually
there. Bring a tape measure. Measure, measure, measure ? screen size, footprint
on the desk (ie stand) , whether or not you can wall mount if you want. Ask
questions. If you?re buying two, see if they?ll cut you a break; they might,
they might not. Even if you decide to buy elsewhere, at least you?ll actually
know what you?re getting, or what you should be getting. Takes the guesswork
out.
Now: Is one particular screen size better than another? Only you can answer
that question ? which is why you need to go look. Some of our users prefer the
older ?square? monitors, but most others prefer the ?landscape? ones. I?m in
the later camp, since I can put more ?stuff? on screen. My personal preference
is to have both monitors the same; some may do otherwise.
My long-term plan for the shack is to have a single computer, dual monitors, so
that I can run logging software in one, cluster in another (obviously not when
I?m running in a non-Assisted mode, the cluster would be off!).
That said, one thing I?m looking into is setting up a tiny computer (such as
the Raspberry Pi) with its own monitor. The idea will be to have a ?dedicated?
system to routine tasks like monitoring the DX cluster, rather than have a full
blown system running 24/7 for just that one small task; the main shack computer
would only be on when I?m actually logging or contesting, or (once I get the
Omni VII set up correctly) for remote operation. In short, automating what
processes I can.
Good luck!
73, ron w3wn