Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on CQWW Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on CQWW Rules
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:33:10 -0600
The casual op clicked the spot, logged the contact and moved on..................

Mike W0MU

On 6/24/2014 12:37 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

It's odd how some people try to turn every debate into an issue of instant gratification. It's the same tactic used by others who generalize about politics, or generations, or gender, or religion, or whatever. And yes, I'm aware of the irony inherent in my own generalization(s) here.

It seems to me that the CQWW contest sponsors might simply be trying to make the event more attractive to casual participants in order to generate more activity for EVERYONE, including those of us (myself included) who prefer to run a frequency 98% of the time.

I like analogies. I tend to avoid events like concerts and movies where I have to wait in line an excessive amount of time because the venue wasn't designed to meet the demand. I virtually boycott stores that understaff the checkout lane because they weren't willing to treat my wait time as a service issue. I used to spend a lot of money to periodically upgrade my computer with faster CPU/RAM/GPU so that I wouldn't have to wait so long to run calculation-intensive applications like EXCEL, VOACAP, or video games (mine is now fast enough for anything I care to run).

The only people who don't get irritated by excessive and needless wait times in this life are those who have absolutely nothing better to do, or are already dead. (oops, another generalization)

It's boring to sit on a frequency listening to a string of QSOs being made by other contesters who got the callsign from a spot or by DX'ers who aren't really in the contest and couldn't care less how long it takes to snag a rare one. It's frustrating having to wait for the other guy to simply let everyone know who he is. It's irritating knowing that the other guy is soliciting a contact from you while purposely impacting your rate in order to enhance his. If it's boring, frustrating, irritating it isn't going to appeal to a casual contester ... those folks that the rest of us keep trying to entice into the game by telling them that it's fun and exciting. The great majority of contest participants are S&P'ers, and the greater the run rate the greater the percentage of them. A run rate of 100 QSOs/hr means that 99% of the participants are S&P'ers! It seems almost elitist to think that the rules should cater to the guy who wants to just sit there and run at the expense of majority who call him.

And how we went from reducing wait time to everyone getting a trophy is totally beyond me. See non sequitur ... <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_%28logic%29>

Dave   AB7E