Re: [CQ-Contest] 1980s checks in SS/SSB.

To: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1980s checks in SS/SSB.
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:28:42 -0500
Hi Kelly,

I may not have made my point well enough.

Of course you should copy what was sent, and I agree that you aren't going to be penalized by the contest adjudicators if you send a different exchange in different years. That wasn't my point.

My point was that when sending my own exchange, I want it to be as predictable as possible. That's not so much to ensure that the other person will get it right - that's really their problem, not mine. More importantly from the point of view of my own self-interest, it's to minimize the time it takes for us to complete the QSO.

If the other person is copying what they hear, but what they hear is unexpected, it may take them a bit longer to get it than it would be if what they heard was expected. The chances of their asking for a repeat are probably increased a bit because of the surprise factor. A hesitation or repeat only slows them down for that one QSO, but it may affect a lot of my QSOs. By the end of the contest, the one who suffers most from all those hesitations and repeats could well be me.

As for whether to use autofill features or not, the risk of having the autofill lead you astray and losing credit for the odd QSO may indeed be more costly than the time you save by not having to type in the autofilled part of the exchanges. That's a decision each of us has to make when setting up for a contest. But I don't see the point in trying to discourage someone else from using autofill by deliberately trying to trip him up.

Contesting is not a zero-sum game; the goal is not to make the other person make mistakes so you come out ahead of them. The goal is for both of you to exchange the required information as quickly and accurately as you can. In the interests of minimizing wasted time, one of my own objectives is to make my exchange as predictable and easy to copy as possible. As far as I can see, changing my check every year only gets in the way of achieving the goal.

73,
Rich VE3KI