Re: [CQ-Contest] 1980s checks in SS/SSB.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1980s checks in SS/SSB.
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:44:26 -0600

On 11/21/2014 2:28 PM, Richard Ferch wrote:
Hi Kelly,

I may not have made my point well enough.

My point was that when sending my own exchange, I want it to be as predictable as possible. That's not so much to ensure that the other person will get it right - that's really their problem, not mine. More importantly from the point of view of my own self-interest, it's to minimize the time it takes for us to complete the QSO.

If the other person is copying what they hear, but what they hear is unexpected, it may take them a bit longer to get it than it would be if what they heard was expected. The chances of their asking for a repeat are probably increased a bit because of the surprise factor. A hesitation or repeat only slows them down for that one QSO, but it may affect a lot of my QSOs. By the end of the contest, the one who suffers most from all those hesitations and repeats could well be me.
73,
Rich VE3KI
I have this happen to me all the time in the IARU Radiosport Contest. Many logging programs apply zone 8 because of my call. But I am in zone 7.

And I hear it a lot when I give the exchange I hear then correcting it you can tell by the hesitation and slowing down of things or them repeating it.

Joe WB9SBD