Re: [CQ-Contest] LP SO2R with no filters?

To: "Jeff Stai" <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>, "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LP SO2R with no filters?
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:14:02 -0500
The amount of work a guy may want to put into checking out the setup for isolation is in direct proportion to the cost of getting a potentially expensive RX repaired. My view is that until you have TESTED to BE SURE the isolation exists, you have to assume it's going to fry gear.

And don't let the thought that "I'm only running 100W" be of any consideration. That's +50 dBm and you want to be very much under +20 dBm to avoid damage - and less than that in some cases. I think W2VJN recommends 0 dBm as the damage threshold target. That means you need 30-50 dB of isolation, on every band and directional combo - something which takes time to check out. The isolation is easy to achieve with natural coupling loss and a stub.

You really will probably not be happy if you just try it, trusting luck alone, only to find out luck ends up against you.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Stai