Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?
From: Drew Vonada-Smith <drew@whisperingwoods.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 13:57:52 -0600
Stu (and Contest Community),

There is nothing to disagree with in your point of view, very well said.  I
don't entirely agree with it, not because it is wrong but because my interests
are a bit different.  Using your metric, some of contesting is less fun for me
because of certain changes.  That being said, it also isn't right for me to
block someone else's fun.  Thus, I agree with you about undesirability of the
draconian rule approach of just banning everything new.

We all need to recognize the changes going on, talk about them and what they
mean to contesting, and structure rules and activities in such a way as to
preserve the experience for the most people.  We won't all agree but we can get
to a place that most of us accept.  Assisted operation is an example of a
compromise that I think most of us are OK with even if not all like it.

I have to say that going fully in the other direction, one example of which is
having a CW ID when operating phone to allow skimmer operation, is quite
distasteful to me.  I'm not trying to attack the people that had that idea, as
it is actually a very clever solution.  But it just feels wrong and not at all
fun.

Creating some contests that are more "boy and his radio" only is one valid
approach.  But I also think we need to consider impact on the big dogs like CQ
WW and how the changes can best be handled to everyone's benefit.

Enough of my soapbox, I think.  Good conversation.

73,

Drew K3PA