Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 21:14:22 -0800
On Thu,11/5/2015 3:20 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
I have operated remote in a couple of contests.  It was a lot of fun but there
was something missing.  I did not build any of the antennas or put up any of
the towers and have never even seen the station in person.

Exactly how is that different from flying in to a rental contesting station, plugging in the K3 and computer that you carried in your luggage, and hooking up to antennas that someone else installed, and a station that someone else built?

For my money, the real phony baloney is those rental stations on islands conveniently located so every QSO is a 3-pointer, with great skip conditions to populations centers and multipliers in EU and NA! I've been there, done that, had fun, but I had no illusions that I was the star.

Like you, Stan, I get greater satisfaction operating from a station I built.

73, Jim K9YC