Re: [CQ-Contest] Reducing Pain in Ears and Bum while Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reducing Pain in Ears and Bum while Contesting
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:24:42 -0700
On 11/24/2015 11:35 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Tue,11/24/2015 7:02 AM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
The CM500 needs batteries?

No, but it's an electret mic, and like all electret mics, does need DC
bias.  A "battery box" comes with it.

Or can it be powered from a rig like the Icom?

Yes, 5K resistor (value not critical) from V+ (typically about 8V) to
Mic Hot.. Virtually all modern ham rigs (30-40 years) have V+ at the mic
connector, different pin by brands.  It's also a fairly "hot" mic, so
you may need to turn gain of way down rig (I did with FT1000MP to use at
PJ4A). I did, and it sounded very good.

It's not only a hot mic, but it has too much low frequency response. I would frequently trip the VOX just from rumbles around my operating table. Replaced with a Heil HC4 element, Rube Goldberg kludged on.

73,
Steve, N2IC