Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion

To: jmaass@k8nd.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:15:20 -0500
I think there is more to it.

First off, at the start of the contest, EVERY QSO is a new mult.  So - NA
works NA, EU works EU - lots of mults for everyone.  Trying to find/work
PJ2T, or any other Carribean at this time is no so easy.

You should also see how things go the second night. Expect things to be
easier once all the "easy mults" have already been worked, and folks are
ready to spend more time looking..

ON4UN's book on Low Band DXing also has lots of useful information.  It has
been a few years since I last read it, and here is the Coles Notes
version.  Basically, as we transition from day to night (greyline), some
signals will leak out from under the canopy of darkness.  We can hear these
loud signals, but are unable to work the guy.  These signals are coming out
at high angles, and our TX antennas are optimized for low angles.
Basically - we are unable to put a useful signal - at high angle - back
into the skip zone.  Once we are in mutual darkness, things get better.

I remember reading where one guy had a low dipole for 160, and it was a
killer antenna - for around 15 minutes a day - during the greyline. Being
low, it had a high-takeoff angle, and worked well in this scenario.
Before/after, not so hot.

ON4UNs book is still in  print - available from the ARRL, and is great
reading for anyone interested in low band DXing.

Tom - VE3CX

This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>