Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:16:46 -0500
Hello Jorge,

For the record, I noted PJ2T in the neighborhood of 1813 kHz very early
Sunday morning.  (I'd be more specific, but they never heard me, so I don't
have a logged frequency).  XE2X was around 1821.  That 4V from Haiti was
around 1826.

Without arguing what is or isn't 'real' DX... IMHO, 'real' DX depends on the
operator, and whom he has or hasn't worked yet... the more important thing
to remember is that:

a. The DX Window and similar 'watering holes' are "gentlemen's agreements".
They are not cast in stone, they are not (for the most part) part of a
country's radio regulations.  They are suggestions (but very good ones) for
places to look for certain types or modes of operating... during normal,
everyday band conditions.

b. Contests are NOT normal, everyday band conditions.  So the "gentlemen's
agreements" do not apply and are not in effect.

In short, during a contest, the "DX Window" simply doesn't exist.

And I'm sorry that you didn't hear me.  (My "new" 160 antenna still needs
radial work, which is my fault, not yours).  Sadly, the only CX station I've
ever worked on 160 became a SK before I could get a confirmation from him...
so it goes.

73, ron w3wn