Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:28:32 -0800
On Wed,2/24/2016 8:59 PM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
Nah .. Jim.. please read the K3 thread I posted.
Repeating here:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/CW-Rise-Time-td3218979.html

The modifications described by this conversation were to improve the clarity of keying, not to eliminate clicks.

I understand this so there is some possibility a small K3 population is
operational and could benefit of a SW upgrade.

Not true. Upgrades have included all sorts of operational features.

About any discomfort for the frequency domain neighbors, my guess is the
discomfort of unmodified FT1000, FT2000 and FT3000 plus FT5000 is much
bigger than any K3 production lot.

Repeating, since 2008 when I received mine, K3s have never had issues with clicks. As with all stations, clicks can be generated in power amps.

Beginning with the K3 and all of its accessories, firmware upgrades are
>nearly automatic. The firmware update utility (one for Windoze and one for
>Mac) queries the radio via a serial or USB port, queries the website and
>downloads the latest firmware, asks if you want to update, and if you say
>yes, it does that.

Huh ?
Easier than a menu setting ?
Feels like marketing men promises.
Coming from YC-Jim, I buy the idea it is possible.
If it is already implemented, Super !

What I described has been implemented since K3 was in beta test, in 2007-8.

Thanks for the positive comments on my work. Yes, like Rob Sherwood's, it is ongoing.

73, Jim K9YC