Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:35:58 -0800
On Wed,2/24/2016 6:27 AM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
I am going to think a little and make a write up somewhere on the subject

Rather than "think," it would probably be far better if you were to STUDY the documentation for modern radios and the impartial testing done by ARRL Labs, and published on their website. I have done that quite extensively, and have written it up in k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf These are FACTS that I have taken the time to learn, not opinions.

Again, you speak of firmware upgrades for the K3 "solving" a problem with clicks. I've been using K3s with legal limit amps since 2008. I do not recall ever having an issue with clicks -- if I did, K6XX, who lives five miles from me, would have told me! Again, you have bad information.

Beginning with the K3 and all of its accessories, firmware upgrades are nearly automatic. The firmware update utility (one for Windoze and one for Mac) queries the radio via a serial or USB port, queries the website and downloads the latest firmware, asks if you want to update, and if you say yes, it does that.

I first published TXNoise about 18 months ago. It clearly showed that Yaesu radios were by far the dirtiest on CW, with very excessive clicks and phase noise. A few months later, they issued a firmware update that significantly improved the keying performance of the FTDX5000 and others in that family. Likewise, ARRL's review of the Flex 6500 and 6700 SDRs showed really awful CW bandwidth. A few months later, Flex issued a firmware update that significantly improved the keying performance.

In TXNoise, I noted the connection between rise/fall time and keying bandwidth, and stated the simple rule that if it is adjustable, slower produces the cleanest result.

I would like to update TXNoise with results for the 6500/6700 radios after their firmware upgrade, but have so far been unsuccessful in having an owner loan his rig for measurement. N6TA loaned his FTDX5000 for before and after measurements, and they are on my website.

http://k9yc.com/P3_Spectrum_Measurements.pdf

73, Jim K9YC