Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:27:33 +0200
Sirs David and Jim, all folks on cq-contest -channel,

Too much splattering.
I was the one to come up with a thought K3 rise/fall times can be adjusted.

Please concentrate your responding signals to my frequency, not anyone
else's.
In the time domain, reply to me, not to anyone else on this subject.
I made an error, based on assumption.

Now also I know K3 does not have a setting for CW rise/fall times.

After my message to cq-contest, there was some private interest in my
writing. To inform you, also Mr. Thompson was curious about how would I
change K3 settings.
There is no such setting. I thought there is - but there is not.

However, there has been a time the firmware had too fast rise/fall times.

In order to keep K3 in perfect shape, all the owner needs to do, is to
update the K3 software to the latest one.

One discussion outcome is, some earlier K3's may actually need a SW upgrade
to produce a cleaner signal. Those, that happened to be in that production
lot.
Maybe they all have been corrected, I do not know.

A more general comment:
Many other radios have a possibility to be set to click.
Feature is CW rise/fall time adjustment.

In case your radio has an adjustment available, please touch it only if you
really know you need to adjust it and what to do with the adjustment.
No feeling based decision is sufficient in this case. You need to know &
understand what you are doing if you touch that setting.

Also, a failure in the radio's hardware, a compromised power supply and/or
many other features may contribute to signal clicks.

I am going to think a little and make a write up somewhere on the subject.

73,
Jukka OH6LI