Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:10:21 -0700
On Mon,7/18/2016 12:08 PM, Kenneth Wolff wrote:
Jim right of course -- the exception being the old Alphas with Pi-L
outputs.

There are many amps with Pi-L outputs. There's a table of those I've been able to learn about (with help from friends) at this link http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

At the the old K1AR M2 we ran from my house we used a lot of stubs because
we only had two towers.

Stubs made with hard line have less loss and are deeper,  but narrower
nulls.

Yes, and they can be TOO narrow, locking you into a narrow range of operating frequencies.

  Fixing 40 into 15 is a little trickier because it as a third
harmonic. I used an open 1/4 stub on 15m with a compensation stub to tune
out the imaginary part of the leftover conductance on 40.

Double and even triple stubs slightly offset across the band can be used to
make a broader null.

Yes.

The most important thing to do is to measure the coupling from each
transmit antenna into each other antenna using 10w transmit and either a 50
ohm scope or a calibrated receiver.

Yes, a very good move. But when we're talking stubs for harmonic suppression, we must measure that coupling at the frequency of the harmonic.

I made a spreadsheet of all the coupling (transcontuce) between antennas to
plan my defense between bands. Some bands needed only a receive filer.
1500W on 160m used to couple over 50W into the 80m vertical array. You can
smoke receivers if you don't watch out!

Great advice. A vector network analyzer or a calibrated spectrum analyzer and signal generator can also do this well.

73, Jim K9YC

- Ken K1EA

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>