Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured
From: Huff David J <HuffDavidJ@JohnDeere.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 06:51:35 +0000
I think one of the things sorely missing from the contest is more DIGITAL modes
on VHF/UHF, other than EME/meteor.  There is a large amount of VHF / UHF and up
that could benefit from digital use, but very few people other than EME/meteor
do digital in higher bands, and there is virtually no national level contest
encouraging the use of digital above HF.  Putting a contest into bands above HF
would also encourage the ARRL and others to update the rules from circa the
late 1980s.
You can also get into digital at a lot lower power and cost than we used to,
but there is still almost no digital terrestrial traffic.  You can get VHF/UHF
digital receivers for around $30, which means getting the little pistol level
stations involved will be cheaper and easier.  I think most of the mobile
rovers and contesters already use computers for logging, why not add an
interface and score more points that way.

David
W0IM