Re: [CQ-Contest] Kill 0,1,2,3 and go for just 3 points

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Kill 0,1,2,3 and go for just 3 points
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:33:53 -0700
Gee, is the reason for contest rules nothing but a numbers game? I thought contesting was about technical skill in building a station and operating skills.

Many years ago, I taught at DeVry, which was a privately run, for profit school. A few students failed my classes, and a few others were tossed out for cheating on exams. But the motivation that a real grading system provided caused students to work harder, which is one of the points of education. And the administration solidly supported my approach, in part because I was also considered a good teacher.

An EASY contest does nothing to separate the men from the boys, nor to build operating skills.

73, Jim K9YC