Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:40:38 -0700
On Tue,7/26/2016 7:02 AM, Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest wrote:
For me the important lesson learned from this discussion is that stubs are not
as easy as snip-snip you got yourself stubs. Deploying them takes planning and
careful testing.

Yes.

That is, takes a lot of time.

I spent about 6 hours on each set of double stubs -- one set to go on the 40M antenna, another for the 80M antenna for our CQP trailer.

I did a very quick back of the envelope calculation. In order to achieve the
same level of attenuation you need two sets of stubs. Right there you have
roughly 800' of LMR400.

Now you lost me. First, LMR400 is not an ideal choice for stubs. Best is a good RG8 with a heavy copper braid shield and solid copper center. As I showed in my applications note, a good RG8X is second best, and makes the stub rejection broader.

Second, I don't understand why you need 800 ft of coax to make two stubs with a matching section between them. Look at the table (by K2TR) from K1TTT's website, which I added to my tutorial on coax and stubs. For 80M, you need two 46 ft shorted stubs with a 23 ft matching section. For 40M, divide those numbers by 2. That's 176 ft of coax for the finished stubs, and, of course, we want to cut them long and trim them. If I were buying new coax for this purpose, I'd choose Davis RF Buryflex, which they will sell in just about any length you choose.

http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

A 1000' spool is $450. Then you probably have another $100 in connectors. $550
in materials alone. And we haven't even made the stubs yet.

I buy Amphenol 83-1SP connectors in lots of 100 so that I have them around. Often when I buy, I combine quantities with neighbor hams or with members of our local club, NCCC. Last time I bought I paid about $3.20 per connector.

For each double stub, we need six 83-1SPs, two coax Tees, and two coax barrels. I use only Amphenols, but I buy mine used at ham flea markets, which I typically pay a few bucks apiece. That comes to about $26 per set of double stubs for the cost of connectors.

Add the time to cut, trim, and crimp the stubs. Add the time to properly
position them along the feed line. I don't know how others value their time,
but I would rather spend it with the family or operate the station than spend
two weekends in a spiderweb of stubs and severed feed lines.

That's a reasonable choice that we all have to make. :) Some of us enjoy building our stations more that others. Many of us are retired, so have more time than those still working.

I also think proper stub placement is easier said than well done. Think about
it- the SO2R remote switch is at the base of the tower and then the individual
antenna feed lines go up the tower. You either have to find the ideal location
up along the tower or coil tons of coax at the base.

Proper placement will, indeed, depend on everyone's individual installation. It certainly doesn't have to be a spiderweb of coax though. In the contest stations I've visited, the stubs are neatly bundled and hung either above the operating area, under it, or along feedlines at suitable locations. Here's what we did for W6GJB's CQP trailer. k9yc.com/7QP.pdf See slides 18-21 My double stub for 40M is coiled outside my shack in the feedline just before it enters the grounding panel.

Also, we generally only need stubs for bands that are harmonically related -- 80/40, 40/20, 40/15, 20/10. Double stubs are generally needed only for antennas that are very closely spaced.

If you coil up all that coax at the base of the tower you need to build some
sort of a structure to hold it.

Only if you have roving bands of copper thieves in your neighborhood. The double stubs outside my shack simply have all the connectors carefully weatherproofed.

If you decide to have it up the tower then you add significant wind load
surface to the tower. Not good.

There's no advantage to placing stubs closer to the antenna unless that's where your antenna switch is.

Of course, I may be over-engineering things,

I hope this makes it seem a lot easier.

but I prefer avoiding complexity.

I think many of us try to avoid complexity when we're in the middle of a contest, so we automate as much of our switching as we can, or as we have the time and money to do. Over the years, I've done that in my station, and it reduces the number of my screw-ups during the contest. :) In W6GJB's contesting trailer, the stubs are simply patched in series with the dipoles for 80 and 40M. When you switch to those bands, the stubs are there -- you don't have to think about it. Likewise with my 40M monoband wire Yagi that's a few feet below my SteppIR.

73, Jim K9YC

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.