Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC Entry Reclassified to High Power

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC Entry Reclassified to High Power
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:55:58 -0500 (CDT)
 Igor,

With all due respect, IMHO, fighting alleged "cheating" by not contacting the
accused, asking him for his side of the story, and worse, simply flat out
telling him he's a cheater with no allowance for other variables or giving him
any option to plead his case or appeal... is as bad or even worse than someone
turning their amp on and claiming that they didn't.

To put it bluntly:  If you're going to accuse someone of as serious an ethical
lapse as cheating, you have to give than an opportunity to defend themselves.
You can't be judge, jury and executioner.

And yes, I speak from experience.  I once did just that in a local contest I
was involved in, many years ago.  While I don't believe, then or now, that I
was wrong, I did get my fingers singed for not giving the alleged perpetrator
an opportunity to explain himself.  It was embarrassing to say the least, but I
have no one to blame for my error (in how I handled the situation) than myself.

So in this case, I do not say that the RDXC committee is wrong... or is right.
I do say that before reclassifying or disqualifying a log entry, they at least
owe the alleged a chance to explain or defend himself.

73, ron w3wn