Re: [CQ-Contest] DXC Entry Reclassified to High Power

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, drew@whisperingwoods.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DXC Entry Reclassified to High Power
From: Christian Schneider <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 20:18:49 +0200
Am 06.10.2016 um 18:10 schrieb Drew Vonada-Smith:
Tossing out every contact that is a nuisance to verify is no solution.
Tossing out uniques that are causal contacts is also baloney.  These contacts
are very easily verified when a pattern is noticed.  Detecting a pattern of
high uniques is trival, and they can be spot checked if needed.  Bringing
causal operators into contesting should be a GOAL, not something to avoid.  Any
significant amount of cheating resulting from this is easily detectable.
Easily, hmmm, ok, if you think so...

But: Can we please store these points to bring them up in the next debate about bringing contesting into the 22nd century by presenting the results faster and even faster, at best ready results minutes after the contest? Done by software against which humans tend to argue less than against human decisions - which one contest states bluntly and may be right with this insight into our present obedience...
  I am thinking that a lot of this is just laziness and excuses for using some
old log checking software someone designed ages ago.

No comment about the laziness, no comment. And indeed there is a really thriving market full of quickly developed and bulletproof checking software and volounteers coding them one by one... That is not to defend the RDXC checking philosophy (at least not unknown to participants) but it is easy to ask in one discussion for maximum precision and in the next discussion for maximum speed of checking - and the mentioned points are not that easy to check and solve as described. And the manpower necessary for the amount of checking things too tricky for software is not endless. We did not speak about the time swallowing abyss of SDR recordings.

Perhaps real progress could be made by real cooperation between contest organizers to not invent the wheel for the umpteenth time in individual fashion - and to have discussions. I've yet to learn why it is not there. But as it is it seems to be given by nature.

73 Chris DL8MBS