Re: [CQ-Contest] QSLing

To: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSLing
From: <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 18:11:01 +0000
My kick out of radio is the Radioman stuff, not the Yeoman (clerk) stuff.

My QSL activity, living in a not-rare country/state/county, is quite
manageable.  An order of 1,000 QSL cards is a 10-year supply.

I don’t primarily chase awards, fill band/mode slots, etc.  I’ll dive into the
pileups with everyone else, especially for a “new-new”, but one contact is
enough to make a check mark on the map.

I participate 100% in LoTW, because it is basically free (yes, I know that I
pay for it with my ARRL dues, but there is zero incremental cost above that).
But it really isn’t a “QSL” to me.

I still very much enjoy traditional paper QSL’s.  I probably initiate 10 or 20
myself during a year, usually to commemorate a particularly enjoyable or
remarkable contact, or to get one from a “new-new” (not many of those!).

Receiving a card (or a bureau envelope) in the mail is always like opening a
package at Christmas.  Mostly the packages might be another “pair of socks”,
but you can still always hold out hope that one is a new “daisy BB-gun”.
(Hell, I even was excited with the envelope of samples you used to get from
“Little Print Shop” in Texas when you changed call signs.  Often it was the
first notification of you new call sign, even before the official-use-only
envelope from Gettysburg!)

To me, the cardboard is the “real” QSL.  The fellow that I met on the air
actually touched it, and it confirms the magic of our contact.  It is valuable
in and of itself for that reason, not because it represents a “check mark” on
some award application.

I answer all incoming cards in the fashion they arrived, bureau via bureau,
direct via direct.  One bureau shipment a year costs peanuts, and the number of
no-sase-enclosed directs is less than 5 per year.

If you’re DX, IOTA, or otherwise popular, or if your thrill is in wallpaper,
then your mileage may vary.

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™