Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign history

To: <steve.root@culligan4water.com>, "'James Cain'" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign history
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@thepoint.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 12:38:03 -0500
Very interesting thread. I earned my first ham ticket in 1980 after moving
to Kentucky from my native W6 land.

My first FCC licenses were on the broadcast side in the early 1960's. After
moving to W4 land I got the ham ticket to stay in touch with some of my
broadcast engineering colleagues out west. Remember, this was the early 80's
before cell phones and the internet. Was interested in DXing (BCB) from
about age 10, but wasn't smitten with the contesting bug until FD in '88.

I think knowledge of the "heritage" of your current call is a noble thing.
The only things I know about the previous holder of my call, K9GX, is that
he was in the Chicago area and operated a lot on 160 and the call came
available about the time I applied for it back in late Summer, 2000 when I
moved from KY to Indiana.

I considered several 1x2s but my dear friend N4GN suggested K9GX, primarily
because it is so "clean" on CW. But it's nice to know the heritage of your
callsign and mine is all the more meaningful because a friend suggested it.

I still have one of each of my previous QSL cards...

73, Mark, K9GX (ex KA4SKB, N4OKX)