Re: [CQ-Contest] RECORDING ON FT5000 FT2000 FT950

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RECORDING ON FT5000 FT2000 FT950
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 11:05:36 -0800
Yes. I do the same. Recording both TX and RX simply changes the "takeoff point" for the recording from the headphone of the SO2R box to the headphone amplifiers of the radios. And, of course, it requires reasonably good balance between levels of the monitor output of transmitted audio and the received audio.

Since my QTH makes me a non-contender in DX contests, I've never bothered to set up a system to do this.

In general, audio output stages have a low impedance and audio input stages have a high impedance, so multiple inputs can be connected in parallel across a source IF the chassis of all sources are properly bonded together, and all interconnected gear gets power from outlets that share the same "green wire" or from outlets whose "green wires" are bonded together at the outlets.

SO -- a two-channel recording device, whether a computer or a dedicated audio recorder, could simply be wired in parallel with the headphone outputs of the radios, either directly, or with a simple resistive voltage divider to prevent overload of the device's mic input by the higher output of the headphone amp.

This records the headphone outputs. I don't know anything about the radios, and whether they feed TX audio to headphones. It would certainly work for CW if the CW sidetone was reasonably close in level to RX audio.

73, Jim K9YC