Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.

To: "Ria Jairam" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:39:24 -0500
OK - Here goes:

This is in the Results article in the magazine.  If you had an online
Zinio subscription, you could read it yourself. I understand that paper
copies are propagating now.

The following is an excerpt from the results article for the CQWW SSB 2016
contest.  This is as much detail as will be made available publicly, in
writing, regarding who was DQ'ed for what reason.

Since I wrote it, I'm going to copy the pertinent paragraphs from the
article here:
<BLOCKQUOTE>
Cheating:
One of the most difficult parts of contest adjudication is analyzing the
submitted logs for possible cheating.  Today, while the task remains
enormous, the ability to collect globally originated real-time data to
analyze has made more detection of cheating possible. “Possible” does not
connote being “easy”.  A lot of hours are invested by volunteers on
several continents to assure that the contest results reflect the accurate
results of the efforts of honest entrants.

Assisted Cheating:
Despite the exponential increases in disqualifications over the last few
years, there are still those who try to get away with claiming that they
are not assisted.  The reasons one may cheat are varied and are indeed a
mystery to many who love this game.  What good does it do for you to
cheat?  What reward do you think you’ll earn?  Please consider that you
achieve nothing by cheating, and given the preponderance of data, it is
likely you’ll be caught, and therefore be disqualified.  No one on the
CQWW committee takes pleasure in seeing an entrant being disqualified.

Self-Spotting Cheating:
The CQWW rules clearly state:
IX. GENERAL RULES FOR ALL ENTRANTS:
Self-spotting or asking to be spotted is not permitted.

This seems pretty clear.  Yet, this phenomenon seems to be growing as an
issue.  This year, we have warned and disqualified more entrants for this
violation than ever before.  Please stop self-spotting!
<END BLOCKQUOTE>
Back to my email to CQ-Contest:

Every entrant who was likely to be disqualified was emailed at the email
address they provided with their log. Many of them bounced.  We don't have
time to chase people down - sorry!

The critique of how long it takes to get the results published seems to
ignore how much work is involved in analyzing logs that from those who
have cheated.  Over half of the total violators only received a warning -
this time.  So, fewer than half of those who were found to have been
cheating ended up actually being DQed.  So, that means there were between
150 and 200 logs that were identified as containing rule violations of one
sort or another.  The vast majority are in the two categories noted in the
above quoted material.  Thousands of entrants' logs have no evidence of
cheating in them whatsoever.

Nothing arbitrary or capricious occurs in the DQ analysis process.
Instead, it is a tortuous and gut-wrenching activity, not taken lightly by
anyone involved.  While there are wild accusations by a few of those who
have been DQed this year, it is safe to say that had they not actually
cheated, they would not have actually been DQed.  Everyone of those who
were DQed for self-spotting (for example) were found to have gone through
extraordinary measures to obfuscate and hide their actions through the use
of multiple callsigns and other methods.  If it were innocent, and just "a
couple of friends who didn't know any better" then why use fake callsigns?
 If it was innocent, they would have just used their normal callsign to
spot the DQed person, would they not?

So, I'm sure this will continue to be a hot topic, but I have to assure
the contesting community that no one on the CQWW Committee took any of
this lightly; no one had an "axe to grind" with any entrants to the
contest nor had any reason to "want" to DQ anyone.  Such accusations are
absurd.  There certainly was absolutely no consideration of anything
related to WRTC activities, past, present, or future and there was
especially no consideration or concern with who anyone may have had as
their WRTC team-mate.  All such accusations are also absurd, and
completely without merit.

In summary:  All accusations of bias or desire to DQ anyone are completely
false, and without any merit whatsoever.

How to avoid this problem?  Simple!  Don't cheat!

73,

Bob W5OV
For the CQWW Contest Committee