Re: [CQ-Contest] Online scoreboards

To: Holger Hannemann <holger@9h3m.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online scoreboards
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 07:51:06 +0000
Very valid comment Holger!

Cqcontest.net is an excellent platform. WWROF might already have supported
it financially? If not, that is an excellent platform to consider
supporting.

I have not always been using online scoring, but when changing to DXlog
contest logging software, it became so easy I decided to use it as much as
possible.

This "internal competition" that Holger so well described is my main driver
to achieve more in contests. I will with my equipment setup never be in
top, but with online scoring, my participation will still create some flow
of adrenaline when managing to bypass some friend I know normally has
better score than me. The same adrenaline pumps when someone from below
come closer and eventually "overtake" me.

If we can make one online scoring platform the "standard", this would make
things even more interesting. Also if major contests in some category
(Assisted?) strongly recommend or "demand" online logging for top (or all)
competitors. This would be as exciting as following WRTC online from the
"sports bar with a pint of refreshing beer" ;)

Online scoring will only be in its ultimate form when majority of users
connect, but even before that happens, this is cool stuff!

As Holger so correctly states, our new younger contesters will never accept
"scores some months later". They demand quick action. If not, the will
perceive contesting as Stone Age. Simply we have to understand that fact -
otherwise contesting will repeat the era and "development" of the
dinosaurs...

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)