Re: [CQ-Contest] Ideal monitor size

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ideal monitor size
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 04:56:26 +0000
My 2 cents' worth:

I use two 29 inch 21:9 monitors in my shack.  The monitor size was selected
because of the available space on my desk (gap between shelf above transceivers
and hutch above).   A smaller monitor would introduce too much risk of
eyestrain given distance between seat and screen, and a larger monitor would
just be...too big.

A single 21:9 monitor is (in my opinion) just large enough to comfortably fit
the various N1MM+ windows I frequently use/consult in SO2R operation.  A 16:9
was a little cramped.  A dual 4:3 monitor arrangement works, but the break
between screens is distracting.

I like having two monitors, positioning one directly in front, and one off to
the side.   Windows that I need to focus on go on the primary monitor; windows
that I only want/need for occasional reference, go to the side.  But, I realize
that I'm unconventional in that regard.   Two 21:9's is probably overkill, but
I like the symmetry.

I can see where a single 32:9 monitor would be very comfortable to use, but
I've gotten too used to "important stuff in front; other stuff to the side" to
be in a hurry to go back to single-monitor use.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org