Re: [CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 05:41:04 -0600
The fact that one can only work a station once in SS is a great equalizer, making it possible to compete with modest antennas from nearly anywhere in NA.  I love NAQP, but propagation can put some parts of the country at a great disadvantage.  For example, when skip is long on the high bands, the coasts have a big advantage over the central US.  Likewise, when propagation is poor on the low bands, those in densely populated areas have an advantage. In SS, no matter where you are, you have a pretty good chance of working each station on SOME band under all sorts of conditions.  There are, of course, lots of examples of top scores in SS from stations with modest antennas. The top spot in 1967 CW was won with a TH3 and some wires.

I don't know what the solution is to the Sunday doldrums, but I'd prefer the one contact rule rather than one per band.  Perhaps a short contest period starting earlier on Saturday would work.

73,
Scott K9MA