Re: [CQ-Contest] Headphones...hard wired

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Headphones...hard wired
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:30:25 -0600
One crucial consideration is background noise levels.  If your operating position is quiet, with no amplifier fans, etc., noise reduction by the headphones isn't important, so you can choose on the basis of comfort and other things.  On the other hand, if you DO operate in a noisy environment, noise reduction is crucial, especially if you want to preserve your hearing.  When listening to weak signals, often way below the noise coming out of the receiver, the AF gain has to be high enough that the receiver noise dominates over acoustic noise.  The louder that acoustic noise, the more punishment your ears take, and it doesn't take all that high a sound level to cause permanent damage.

Active noise reduction works only at low frequencies; to reduce noise at higher frequencies, the headphones have to fit tightly. That's an unavoidable trade-off.  I've found the Radiosport headset to be the most effective and least uncomfortable.

73,
Scott K9MA