Re: [CQ-Contest] The CQWW 160 "protect my turf" rule?

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The CQWW 160 "protect my turf" rule?
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:58:24 +0000
On 29/01/2018 13:27, Gerry Hull wrote:

<snip>

It would be much simpler to state "Remote operation is not permitted for
Single operator Unassisted" category.

1. Am I reading the rule incorrectly?

2.  If I am reading it correctly, WHY such a rule?

Well, for SOU, the use of external networks is not permitted for
the purpose of increasing scores.  In these circumstances, the
use of external networks to communicate would seem to be entirely
inappropriate.

For anyone suggesting that remote operators do not communicate
over external networks, consider how many contacts you would have
without them.

Almost all of us are photographers.  All that matters is the end
result, regardless of the circumstances in which the photos are
obtained.

Almost all of us are communicators.  If all that matters is the
end result (that we contact one another), then how we communicate
is irrelevant.

On the other hand, radio amateurs do it with ham-band RF. It's
HOW we communicate with one another that validates our claim
to be radio amateurs.  If you need an external network (the
internet) to have contacts, you're no different to everyone
else who cannot communicate without being on the internet.

Some radio amateurs and contesters deny this.

73,
Paul EI5DI