Re: [CQ-Contest] The CQWW 160 "protect my turf" rule?

To: w1ve@yccc.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The CQWW 160 "protect my turf" rule?
From: Andy Blank <andyn2nt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:22:57 -0500
Hi Gerry

Regarding the rule for remote operation found here:
http://cq160.com/rules.htm

The statement  worded:

*Remote operation for categories other than Single Operator Unassisted is
permitted under the following conditions: *
Is indeed wrong, and should read
*Single operator Assisted.*
A little history;

The original rule was written back in 2010, before the plethora of remote
stations that are now available.
There were a handful of stations that did use remote operation, and the
INTENT of the rule was to allow it.
But we wanted to FORBID the use of any remote receivers away from the TX
site.

The capability of listening on a second receiver at the control site was
indeed possible, using an antenna completely free of interference from the
TX signal.
That was why the language was added to make that against the rules.

Somewhere between 2015 and 2016 the statement about *Remote operation for
categories other than Single Operator Unassisted is permitted under the
following conditions:  *was edited in error. Thanks to Gerry for noticing,
that has been wrong for quite a while. Surprisingly it was not caught until
now.

At that time we added another rule to allow a remote RX within 100KM f*or
ASSISTED class only*. I call this the Stew Perry allowance rule, since it
was added to the Stew Perry contest as a concession to some stations with
high noise QTHs. These stations cannot operate any other way, and we wanted
to allow them a chance to compete. Of course, other remote RX located
outside this radius are illegal and against the spirit of the rules.

In summary, remote operation is allowed for any category. However, the use
of a remote RX within 100KM is allowed ONLY in SINGLE OP ASSISTED.

The CQ160 is a very popular contest worldwide, and we hope everyone will
operate within the spirit of the rules.
Like any contest, not every rule is easily enforced. There are many
stations that push the envelope, especially when Power Levels are involved.
It is our hobby and contest, and we should all respect the rules and
compete fairly... Otherwise we have nothing.

Sorry for any confusion, the SSB rules on the web site will be corrected.

73, Andy N2NT
Director CQ160 Contest