Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC looking for a new team leader

To: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC looking for a new team leader
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:20:47 -0700
Paul;

I don’t believe you really hold this belief. As a contester and an experimenter
I strongly disagree with it. While the use of some of the techniques you cite
in contest may be argumentative, their existence in Amateur Radio is definitely
not. Amateur Radio is all about experimentation - we would not exist without
it! Creation of new modes has been a great part of the hobby since its
inception - the three current forms of the major communications modes,
non-spark CW, SSB and RTTY, are a direct result of experimentation and were not
part of the original hobby! With regards to the digital modes, they definitely
have their place in emergency communications, a very large part of our hobby.

As a participant in the development of packet radio, and as an engineer at
Motorola, I directly saw the effect of ham experimentation, including the
direct evolution of packet radio into WiFi. We hams developed a high-speed 56K
packet network in Georgia, state of the art in the late 1980s. This carried
much traffic, including the newly developed (for the time) packet cluster that
many folks now use across the internet. To put it simply, experimentation was
alive then, and as FT-8 demonstrates, is alive now.

All this aside, you do have an interesting argument as to whether remote
stations should be used in contesting. My opinion? Like keyboard and voice
keyers, electric automated rotators, the use of the aforementioned packet
cluster for contesting and so forth, the train has already left the station.
Trying to argue them out of existence at this point is rather moot, unless you
would like to create a contest that bans (some or all of) them. Actually, I
hope you do - it would be a very fun contest!

73,
Jack, W6FB