Re: [CQ-Contest] 2022 WRTC Thoughts

To: Bob Burns W9BU <w9bu_lists@rlburns.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2022 WRTC Thoughts
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 18:46:27 -0400
On Sun, Jul 22, 2018, 12:47 Bob Burns W9BU <w9bu_lists@rlburns.net> wrote:

> On 7/17/2018 12:47 PM, Ed K1EP wrote:
> > I am sure there are other technical hurdles to overcome.
> A couple of possible hurdles come to mind:
>
> 1. What if one team is trying to receive while another team is trying to
> transmit? Without duplexed antenna systems and radios, I'm not sure how
> one station would be able to receive and transmit simultaneously.

In my thoughts, I said that there would be separate transmit and receive
antenna systems, probably located far enough apart that there would not be
any interference.

> 2. Don't the WRTC stations have directional antennas? What if one team
> wants the antenna pointed one direction while another team wants the
> antenna pointed a different direction?

In my suggestion, I proposed three sets of antennas on each band, pointed
in fixed directions. Obviously each station wouldn't be able to rotate
them, but on 80 and sometimes 40, you never were able to. And the beamwidth
of short beams is such that three fixed antennas probably cover 90+% of
one's needs. Depends of course where it is located.