Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

To: "'ku8e'" <ku8e@ku8e.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 07:03:58 -0300
I can kinda see where you’re coming from Jeff, but what we’ve seen here is a
contest with real time log checking (video!) for the masses.  It also gives the
unfair advantage of hearing/seeing your QSO. Isn’t everything supposed to take
place on the air?

This is a radio contest.  All the publicity in most contests needs to take
place in advance.  Yes, folks spot you (or the RBN does in a CW contest), but
you aren’t ASKING to be spotted, nor do people think they’ll be recorded and
played back in real time in 99.999999% of cases.

So maybe they are no long radio contests, they are popularity contests and
using the Internet is OK ? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)…where’s EI5DI when
we need him? <g>

I think we all probably know multiple (contest) rules were being broken.

Yes, I too think it was predominantly about RHR, so if I was Ray W2RE and yeah,
I’m not,  I would just send in a check log knowing that I didn’t follow the
rules.

Lots and lots of free advertising for RHR !

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB