Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 13:49:55 -0400
Why is it that the ARRL makes you look in three places to find out what the rules are for the ARRL DX Contest? This is stupid. Why not just print the rules on just one web page even though they might be the similar for other contests? Thank you to N2IC for pointing out rule 3.10 in the General Rules for All ARRL Contests which I somehow missed when making a previous post.

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx

http://www.arrl.org/general-rules-for-all-arrl-contests

http://www.arrl.org/general-rules-for-arrl-contests-below-30-mhz

Anyway the rule in question concerning W2RE in this one that can be found in the general rules for all ARRL contests

*3.10. The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example, Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest period is not permitted.*

My interpretation of this rule is that you can't call someone on the telephone, send an email or use social media like Twitter or Facebook to arrange contacts.*
*

Here is a history lesson about the use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication. This rule which was added many years ago in both CQWW and ARRL DX after an MM operation by members of the SEDXC took place at VP2KC in the 1979 CQWW DX SSB Contest. They set a new world record. It turns out the owner of this station was a wealthy retired businessman named Kit Carson. No expense was spared in building the station. In fact a big 160 meter DXer back at that time K1PBW spent 50 days on St Kitts building the 160 meter array and rewired the whole house to be able to handle a Multi-Multi operation. The controversy surrounding this operation was that a satellite phone was used to arrange contacts with famous DXers in rare counties around the world. Back then I don't believe there was a rule about using non-Amateur Radio means of communication to arrange contacts. The clause that prohibited this was added to DX contest rules shortly afterwards.

Going back to W2RE the question to ask is what does non-Amateur Radio means of communication really mean?  If you use a DX cluster or something like DX Summit to find contacts is that considered non-Amateur Radio means? You are using the internet to find a station that you didn't hear on you radio until you clicked on that spot. What about that weak station on 160 meters that you can't quite pull out the call sign on your own receiver and you are given that information because it's posted on the DX Cluster? You could argue that using a DX Cluster is a non-Amateur Radio means of communication. So W2RE has a web page that he's streaming his ARRL DX SSB operation. He is pretty up front at the beginning that he's not displaying his frequency because he wants you the find him. Although he does make mention that he's on the low end the 20 meter phone band. Probably not a good idea to say that but he still didn't give his exact frequency. So is that soliciting a contact just like saying "I'm on 14160 so come there and give me a contact" ? In the part of the video I watched I didn't hear Ray say that. To be truthful I didn't watch the whole video but have heard others say his frequency was displayed in the chat window. I didn't see that part but if true that could be an issue. Also does "to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest period" mean self-spotting? So if you are running a live stream and don't give your frequency is that under the definition of self spotting?

I think it's best to contact the contest sponsor if you are doing something out of the ordinary to see if it's legit. I did that for the CQ 160 CW contest because K4BAI was operating the PJ4A station remotely from my house. I still wanted operate my own station in the contest. I sent an email to Andy,N2NT, told me not what to do and it worked out fine.

Jeff KU8E