[CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting
From: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 00:10:14 +0000
This has happened before. In about 1965 K4HSB operated in an ARRL CW CD
Party. The total multipliers (ARRL Sections) at that time was 73. K4HSB
turned his log in with all 73 Sections worked, and the highest claimed
score. When the high-claimed scores appeared in QST, other participants
squawked. A note appeared in the next QST's "Operating News" column saying,
basically, "This is wrong, Don't do it."

K4HSB (Jimmy King) did this as a joke. Before the CD Party he had sent
letters to guys in all the Sections that rarely show up, and made skeds.
This clearly was "Soliciting contacts by non-amateur means." If I remember
right, when the final results came out in the CD Bulletin, K4HSB was not
listed.

Nobody had a freaking stroke over this, that I know of. Whatever his point
was, Jimmy made it. About that time he got out of radio. But he's still
listed on qrz.com.

If W2RE had a point, I fail to see it. He operated a humongous station on a
salt marsh in coastal northern Maine and used the internet to solicit
contacts. His contact total was a couple hundred more than everybody else,
about ten per cent. Now I have a headache from the Law of Diminishing
Returns clanking around in my cranium.

K1TN