Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 14:28:45 -0500
This is no different than having a car that can exceed the speed limit.  Is it the fault of the car maker for providing car capable of excess speed?  Or is it the fault of the driver.

The responsibility lies solely with the operator.  I know this is probably a quaint concept given the larger cultrial trend abrogating personal responsibility, but fundamentally it's the job of the operator to run his station properly.  And that includes using slow rise times for rigs that provide such adjustment.

Having said that, having the adjustment range covering this lower rise times does make it easy for trouble as I know personally. NC0B kindly sent me a note mentioning that I was clicking like crazy on a 160m contest once.  Turns out I had never reset the rise time after doing some testing a few years ago for K9YC on my rig - specifically looking at occupied bandwidth vs. rise time foot prints.  But even in this case, it is not the fault of the rig maker that I had the rig set up improperly.  It is mine alone.

73/jeff/ac0c

alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com