Re: [CQ-Contest] [cwops] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [cwops] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns
From: Björn Ekelund <bjorn@ekelund.nu>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 21:39:29 +0200
I use the 6ms setting on my IC-7610 and IC-7300 feeding an ACOM amp and am
able to uphold a
friendly coexistence with my neighbors SA7JMA and SA7BKX 400 and 900 yards
away, respectively.
It may however still not be as narrow as an Elecraft which uses the
theoretically optimal raised cosine
curve shape.

In addition to the keying rise time it is also important to use a PTT lead
time long enough so that the PA T/R
relay is well settled when the carrier appears. Factory default PTT lead
time on many radios (Elecraft particularly,
with 8ms) is too short for non-QSK PA.

Björn SM7IUN