Re: [CQ-Contest] "please copy" - aarrggghhh!

To: Stanley Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>, k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "please copy" - aarrggghhh!
From: ku8e <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 07:11:51 -0400
Field Day is what you want it to be. Some serious guys treat it as a contest
and others as a social event for their local club.I went out with our local
club which did 3A. There were about 30 people that came by over the weekend but
there were probably just four of us ( all members of SECC) that I would even
consider as being contesters. I think those that were contesters spent time a
good amount of time mentoring those who weren't on how to operate. Only three
of us were CW operators. K4BAI and I mostly manned that station. We had another
guy who is a marginal CW operator that we mentored. That person had started to
do the CWT's and his skills have greatly improved.  He still has some
challenges using the logging program but John were there to help him. We had
another who has done the CWT mentoring program but he didn't operate the CW
station with us. Maybe next time?Jeff KU8E  - CW op @ W4CVYSent from my
Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Stanley Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: 6/27/21  10:41 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: k9yc@arrl.net Cc:
CQ-Contest@contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "please copy" - aarrggghhh!
Jim,I respectfully disagree about FD being a contest. This has been discussed
thoroughly in many forums. In a contest there are winners. There are no winners
declared in FD, just high scores. There are no awards or even certificates. You
can receive points for non-radio activities. FD is a public display of amateur
radio and its capabilities. Scores are kept so that comparisons can be made of
how well each group has accomplished that.Stan, K4SBZ"Real radio bounces off
the sky."> On Jun 27, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:> > On 6/27/2021 6:32 AM, Charles Gallo wrote:>> it is not a real
contest> > That's been ARRL's big lie for decades. But it IS a contest, and
probably the most important one to hams, because it's usually their first
exposure, where they learn either good or bad habits. And for some, like most
of us, it was the gateway drug!> > I'm quite lucky -- not only was the club in
the town where I grew up very nurturing to new hams, but also because it
included at least one good contester who trained me right!> > 73, Jim K9YC>