Re: [CQ-Contest] Alfred A Laun, III K3ZO SK

To: Ken Claerbout <kenk4zw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alfred A Laun, III K3ZO SK
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 22:06:22 -0600
> There was just something about tuning the bands during a
> contest and hearing K3ZO.  You knew everything was right with the ham radio
> world.

The above statement sums it up perfectly.

I never heard K3ZO frantically running stations at 40 wpm but was always amazed
and impressed with the end result.  I just expressed that exact sentiment with
N5DX within the last month or so.

 I think the first time I worked Fred (LU5HFI) was in about 1971 or 1972 on
160m.   At the time and it was quite exciting to work LU on 160m.  He took the
time to mail a letter to me about 20 years ago, with high praise for a strategy
I had used to work Europe from Arkansas on 20m SSB.  How special to receive
that letter which would never be forgotten.  More recently on two different
occasions he sent QSL cards requesting cards from his contacts with ZF9CW.  I
was thrilled that he wanted a card from me.

He will be missed.

Stan, K5GO