[CQ-Contest] Starlink

To: NCCC <NCCC@groups.io>, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, k6bj@groups.io
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Starlink
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 03:03:44 -0800
My system has been up for about a year. My QTH, in a dense redwood forest, seriously obstructs the Starlink dish's view of the sky. Over the course of a year, as more and more birds have been launched and put into service, my downtime (due entirely to obstructions) has dropped from 20% to about 10% to less than 7%.

This is only significant for services like VOIP and Zoom, where brief interruptions will trigger a disconnect. From the beginning, at 20% downtime, I was able to everything else, like email, streaming Hi-res video, thanks to apps that provide buffering.

For me, in the Santa Cruz Mountains where Comcast's power backup has been a sick joke, Starlink is a backup. If I had a clear view of the sky, I'd love it as my only source.

The only downside for ham radio is that th5 electronics (probably switch-mode PSU) is a NOISY PIG. It took $50 worth of ferrites to tame it. By contrast, everything associated with my Tesla Model 3 is an RFI dream (and not a bad one). No noise from charging to very close antennas, my VHF in the car hears great, and reports from others say that HF is also just fine.

73, Jim K9YC