[ct-user] Bug in C2A.EXE?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Bug in C2A.EXE?
From: Rob Kennedy" <amtor@hotmail.com (Rob Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:20:06 -0500
Hi Jim,

Unlike some other Logging programs, Logger actually checks the contents of
the State field in the ADIF file when importing the ADIF file into Logger.
If the state field does NOT contain a valid abbreviation for a US state, the
record is rejected and it is not imported into Logger.  The rejected records
are placed in a file called BAD.ADI.

I assume that some other logging programs DO NOT check the contents of the
STATE field when importing an ADIF file and assume that the contents of the
STATE field in the ADIF file does contain a valid US state in accordance
with the specifications for ADIF files.  (In my view,  this is NOT good
practice.  When importing an ADIF file, the contents of EACH FIELD in an
ADIF file should be checked by the Logging program to ensure that it
contains valid information BEFORE the record is accepted and imported into
the Logging program's database.  Records can get corrupted.  By checking the
contents of each field in each record, the corrupted records will not be
imported).

Furthermore, by importing Canadian Provinces into fields which are ONLY
meant to display US states will likely cause a host of problems with other
Logging programs.  I am surprised that users of DXBASE, DX4WIN etc have not
encountered problems when attempting to import an ADIF file created by
C2A.EXE.

When exporting the data from a CT .BIN file into an ADIF File, C2A.EXE
should examine each record for each QSO in the .BIN file, check for
abbreviations for Canadian Provinces and place these abbreviations in the
Canadian field of the ADIF file NOT the state field.

In my view, C2A.EXE does not create a valid ADIF file in accordance with the
specifications for ADIF files listed at the www.hosenose.com website.

In the meantime, other CT to ADIF programs may perform the conversion
properly (like LOGCONV).  When I can find some time I will test these other
programs and see if they perform the CT .BIN file to ADIF file conversion
properly.

73's

Rob